This information on this page will help acquaint you with The Sullivan Centre. We want to thoroughly prepare you for what to expect before, during, and after your surgery. Below, you will find detailed information and instructions for your specific surgical procedure, whether you are a Columbus patient or from elsewhere. Our goal is to make your experience as pleasant as possible. If you have any questions or concerns after reviewing this information, please bring them to our attention.
- Consultation and Fees
- For Our Out-of-Town Patients
- Pre-Operative History, Physical, and Testing
- Your Pre-Operative Instructions
- Post-Operative Accommodations
- On the Day of Your Surgery
- Your Post-Operative Care
- Privacy Information & Patient Forms
For Our Out-of-Town Patients
We provide long-distance consultation opportunities for patients who live outside the state of Ohio or even outside the country. We have been honored to have patients who live in Florida, Vermont, California, and places in between. We have also had patients from as far away as England, Amsterdam, and St. Thomas. If you live out of the area and are interested in the special environment created by Dr. Michael Sullivan and Dr. Christine Sullivan, please contact us online to facilitate this service. You can also call our office at (614) 436-8888 and ask to speak with Tracey Conforti, our patient coordinator.
Pre-Operative History, Physical, and Testing
We can take your pre-operative history and give you a physical exam at The Sullivan Centre. Pre-operative testing—such as EKG and routine blood work—may be required within 30 days of your surgery. These studies cannot be done at the Centre, but you may have your own physician perform these tests, or we can recommend a physician for you. Please have the results of these test sent to The Sullivan Centre two weeks prior to your surgery. They may be faxed to us at (614) 436-8847.
Your Pre-Operative Instructions
It is important to follow these instructions closely:
- Eat only a light meal at dinner the night before your surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages during the day or night before your surgery.
- You may brush your teeth the day of your surgery, but please avoid swallowing.
- Bathe on the morning of your surgery as you normally would.
- Wear loose-fitting, easily laundered clothing that will not irritate your incision. For many procedures, a loose, front-closing blouse or sweatshirt is appropriate.
- Please do not wear any jewelry. Leave your purse, money, credit cards, and other valuables at home.
- Do not wear any makeup.
- Bring your insurance card, if applicable.
- Bring cases to store glasses or contact lenses during your surgery.
- Smoking on the day of your surgery can interfere with the effectiveness of the anesthesia and cause nausea after your surgery. If you are a smoker, we urge you to abstain or quit, if possible.
Please Note: If you are having your procedure under local anesthesia (as opposed to general anesthesia), you may eat and drink as you normally would.
If you take morning doses of medication for your heart or to control high blood pressure, take your normal dose the morning of surgery with only a sip of water. Our anesthesiologist will contact you before your surgery date to review your history and discuss your medications.
Drs. Sullivan suggest that you make alternative accommodations for at least the first post-operative night if you live an hour or more away from The Sullivan Centre. There are several hotels in close proximity to The Sullivan Centre. Based on feedback, our previous patients have preferred suites because the amenities, including an ice machine, made their stay more comfortable. The Sullivan Centre has an established relationship with the Chase Suite Hotel (at 4130 Tuller Road, Dublin, Ohio 43017). Please mention The Sullivan Centre for discounted rates when calling (888) 433-9408 to schedule your stay. Regardless where you decide to stay, you can cancel your reservation if you are feeling well enough to travel after your surgery.
Drs. Sullivan also recommend that you have a family member or friend assist you for at least the first day or two following your surgery.
On the Day of Your Surgery
- Your surgical time will be given to you one week before your procedure. Please be aware that while we schedule your procedure for a specific date, we cannot guarantee a certain time.
- Plan to arrive at The Sullivan Centre approximately one hour before your scheduled surgery time. Note: We recommend that you call beforehand to confirm your surgery time.
- You may feel dizzy or drowsy after surgery. You must arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home following your procedure. You will not be discharged alone or to a taxi.
- When you arrive at the Centre, the receptionist will greet you. You will be escorted to a changing room where you will change into a surgical gown. Your clothes will be placed in a secure locker where you can retrieve them after your surgery.
- You will then walk to the pre-operative area, where your surgeon will visit with you and answer any last-minute questions. You will also meet your anesthesiologist, who will perform an assessment and discuss the method of anesthesia to be used for your surgery.
- Depending on the type of surgery you are having, you may be given a mild relaxant while you are in the pre-operative area. You will then be escorted to the operating room.
- Following surgery, you will be taken to the recovery room, where you will be closely observed. Once you are awake and alert and we confirm that your vital signs are stable, you will be able to get dressed, and we will release you to the care of an adult family member or friend.
Your Post-Operative Care
After your surgery/anesthesia, you will need to plan your care at home. Here are some guidelines:
- Your surgeon will describe the amount of discomfort you can expect and prescribe the appropriate medication.
- Follow the instructions you were given to care for your incisions. If you develop any unusual symptoms, contact your surgeon immediately.
- Your surgeon will inform you of specific eating instructions, if necessary.
- You may need to rest, so it’s a good idea not to plan strenuous activities for the days following surgery.
- Make sure you follow your medication instructions carefully. Avoid alcoholic beverages and smoking.
- We will schedule a follow-up visit for you, as well as advise you when you may return to work and/or resume other activities.
- The Sullivan Centre nursing staff will call to check on your progress during the first few days following your surgery.
The Sullivan Centre: Special Care, Special Caring
Knowing that your surgeon is Board Certified, that the facility is accredited, that you will have the support of a highly trained professional staff—before and after your procedure—are all part of our promise to provide the highest standard of personal and professional care. The focus is, and always will be, on you, our client and patient. Your satisfaction is really what makes The Sullivan Centre special.
Privacy Information & Patient Forms
Select a link below for more information or to download the forms you will need: